Keira D'Amato is a professional marathoner who returned to the world of professional running in 2016 and recently set the American record in the half-marathon in a blazing fast 1:06:39 at the ASICS Half Marathon on the Gold Coast, Australia.
Keira D’Amato’s Running Tips
- Mindset is everything! Before a hard workout or a race, think of a short but powerful mantra to repeat to yourself when it gets tough out there.
- It’s amazing to push yourself, but even better to push others to achieve as well. After breaking the American Women’s record for Half-Marathon, Keira told us that she looks forward to congratulating the next woman to move the bar forward.
- Crosstrain! In addition to her running workouts, Keira makes sure to add in hip and ankle mobility sessions, yoga, and pilates to her weekly training sessions to stay flexible and strong.
Keira D'Amato's Marathon Nutrition Plan
Keira's balanced breakfast combined with the Edge Energy Gels sets her up for her fast races. It is vital to include long-lasting carbohydrates in your race day nutrition to keep your energy levels steady throughout the whole race.
- Oatmeal with Chia Seeds
- UCAN Energy (1 Scoop, Cran Raz Energy mixed with 12 oz water)
- Sipped on UCAN Energy all morning (a second bottle of 1 scoop Cran Raz mixed with 12 oz of water)
During the Race:
- UCAN Edge every 10k while racing; 3-4 total gels during race (Pineapple and Orange flavors are her favorite)
Keira’s Pro-Tip: Don’t be afraid to fuel even though you might not think you’ll need it, rather than wishing for it mid-run. “I love the way it makes me feel. Listen, I’m running fast, I’m hurting, the gel gives me a moment of joy and helps with the hangry thoughts.”
Keira D’Amato’s UCAN Fueling Strategy:
- Pre-load with fuel in the morning so that you go into your workout feeling strong and motivated.
- Make sure you fuel consistently in your workouts. On runs that last longer than an hour, Keira takes a UCAN Edge Energy Gel every 45 minutes.
- Recover well post-training. Keira can sometimes get lightheaded when she doesn’t get enough calories after a workout. She relies on her favorite Vanilla UCAN Energy + Protein immediately after a hard effort.